In this video you’ll learn Social Dancing 101 - simple tips that will show you how to slow dance kizomba socially in a good way.
You’ll learn how to initiate the dance and build connection with what in kizomba is called tarraxinha.
The beginning phase is so important and when talking to many ladies - that’s nr.1 issue - before building any connection, guys go immediately into the steps.. without checking the level of the lady…and specifics.
After watching this video - you will know how to have a good social dance even if you are a beginner. Less is more!
This applies to kizomba… but not only, even if dancing in the club or anywhere - you’ll have a good kind of dance.
★★★ People mentioned, song, event ★★★
The event I visited in Norway, Oslo - Kiz DJ 48 - https://www.facebook.com/events/136953983561328/
Theodore Wolashie Awadzi (main organiser, thank you for inviting!, Ebe - another ;)) - https://www.facebook.com/theodore.awadzi
Sabina Rahimova (who helped with video) - https://www.facebook.com/ssabinara
DJ Smart (Anastasia Smokotina) - https://www.facebook.com/anastasia.smokotina
Tarraxinha, Kizomba/Semba teachers who helped with bonus part teaching basics:
Ebe Nezer - https://www.facebook.com/Ebe31
Karine Peilepinnen Eriksen - https://www.facebook.com/karine.p.eriksen
♪♫ ♪♫ Songs used:
♪♫ ♪♫ Dj Lenhy - SENSIKIZ PARIS - YULIYA SENSIKIZ - https://soundcloud.com/loic-largen
♪♫ ♪♫ Nelson Freitas - Break of dawn ft. Richie Campbell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ8bFT8F5Ws
♪♫ ♪♫ Nelson Freitas & C4Pedro - Bo Tem Mel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ealTdaqt8bU
★★★ Part 1: Getting ready: ★★★
* Take a shower, clean clothing, use perfume (a little bit) - don’t overuse. Take perfume with you, if you change shirts.
* Take extra t-shirt or tovel if you sweat a lot ( as for dresscode - I like wearing comfortable stuff - shirt and jacket looks good and fancy - but is not comfortable and you sweat so much quicker. Instead go for t-shirts… if warm - wear shorts..or you can roll on jeans. 😃
* Be sober, one drink is fine to get in the mood, but it’s not a club, being drunk will not make for good dancing.
* Be respectful, positive - in dance community everyone knows each other. Ladies talk. Even in international festivals people talk and if you build a reputation as being drunk, dirty or impolite - it’s hard to change it.
* Maybe move a bit at home by mirror, listen to music along the way. For guys watch some dance videos to be inspired to try some moves.
★★★ Part 2: General dancing tips, Getting on the dance floor: ★★★
When Arriving first Put yourself in the mood. Instead of rushing for the first dance, relax - sit down a bit, listen to the music…breathe… then when you feel good, go for it.
First dance is very important, be picky - if I have a great first dance, i will have a great party…stating with bad dance will make u insecure in your leading and it will be so much harder to come back. Wait for good partner…observe.. Either look for a positive lady or a partner you know.
★★★ Part 3: Getting On The Dance Floor - How to slow dance?: Tarraxinha Basics ★★★
- have a hug - dont go in frame first - breathe don’t move - just move upper or bottom body a bit, lead with arms..body, feel the lady how she moves.
- with this stage by just transfering weight on legs, stepping, moving the body you can feel the level of the lady.
- do little side steps, balanca, tarraxinha..no rule - but 30secs at least. even in active music.
then try the frame - leading men, women saida - sometimes, immediatelly with frame I feel that lady is tense, then I go back to hug and sometimes dance all 3 dances with a hug. With frame we would have a bad dance, fighting.
- build eye contact, the way i do it is by pushing lady back a bit or going for a turn. Smile, look in eyes - relax. (have video with it, crazy things too)
- In kizomba it’s easier to dance because its walking, in urbankiz with crazy song and a beginner - i will just play with body isolations, ginga, little steps.
- Musicality comes first - if you try to impress somebody, audience or lady - you will never succeed. - Nobody else exists…if feeling distracted close your eyes.
- Give a space sometimes - give little impulse to the lady and then try to follow her. Even if she does the waves, wave with her…sometimes lady starts leading me, sometimes she starts just playing with music, sometimes she does nothing or stops. From this you can tell if she likes to improvise or to perfectly follow.
- If lady likes to improvise give her space - let her finish movements, you initiate she finishes.
You do something - give her space to do something - repeat several times.
- When music changes and there is accent, initiate it, pull the arm and let her finish it - even a beginner will often take it and smile 😃 It’s like having a candy and sharing it!
Have Ebe & Karina explaining some ideas for tarraxinha.