Never commit an overcoat faux pas again! - https://gentl.mn/overcoat-dos-donts
OTHER GUIDES MENTIONED:
1. Boots 101 - https://gentl.mn/2jXyUKC
2. The Most Overrated Color in Menswear: Black - https://gentl.mn/2At79zS
3. Duffle Coat Guide - https://gentl.mn/2AsBgHO
4. The Fedora Hat Guide - https://gentl.mn/2j8BOeF
5. Homburg Hat - https://gentl.mn/2AtCClE
6. How A Suit Should Fit - https://gentl.mn/2j4xUDJ
7. Is It Worth It? The Burberry Trench Coat - https://gentl.mn/2CoQBdM
8. Sleeve Length Guide - https://gentl.mn/2kvXxgU
SHOP THE VIDEO:
1. Reversible Scarf in Burgundy Red and Blue - https://gentl.mn/2o6zQRJ
2. Edelweiss Boutonniere - https://gentl.mn/2BjDyga
3. Petrol Blue Men's Gloves - https://gentl.mn/2CeGM1X
1. Don't just buy the same black boring overcoat that every other man out there has. Black, in my opinion, is quite overrated especially for overcoats because it shows every little hair and dust speck and you just blend in.
2. Do look for longer overcoats. By that, I mean something that covers your knee because you stay warmer that way and traditionally, it's a very classic look that won't go out of style anytime soon.
3. Do opt for hundred percent natural materials in overcoats. Unfortunately, even expensive overcoats these days are often blended because it makes the fabric less expensive and thus more affordable or increases the profit margins of the manufacturer. While polyester nylon fibers can make a garment more durable, they're not as insulating as natural fibers such as cashmere, or wool, or alpaca, and because of that, I'd stay clear of them.
4. Don't buy an overcoat with a zipper. Yes, you can see them in ski jackets and functional jackets but an overcoat is a classic garment that is stylish and as such, you'd go with buttons.
5. Opt for a double-breasted one. Yes, it's true that single-breasted coats are the norm out there but double breasted ones make you stand out from the crowd and on top of that, they keep you warmer because they have two layers of fabric on top of each other.
6. Don't forget the Hat. An overcoat is great to be worn with a hat because it keeps you warmer and because it's a classic garment, it is stylish, a hat always works well together.
7. Do wear a boutonniere or a pocket square with your overcoat.
8. Don't buy an overcoat that is too large and baggy because it makes you look unattractive. First of all, determine how you want to wear your overcoat. If you do want to wear a jacket underneath, make sure you have enough room in your overcoat.
9. Do look for striking yet classic details. No, I don't want you to wear bright orange reflective overcoats, however, I urge you to consider maybe an interesting weave in the fabric such as on this one here, where you can see, it consists out of gray, black, and blue, and because of that, it's super versatile because I can wear with all kinds of suits in those colors.
10. Don't buy overcoats that combine the styles of different overcoats because they will look dated very quickly.
11. Don't be afraid to invest a little money in a good-quality overcoat because it's something that will last you longer than a suit most of the time and you also have to buy fewer of them.
12. Do consider vintage overcoats. Personally, I
love vintage overcoats because they have heavier fabrics that drape really really well and on top of that, they have interesting color combinations such as the coat I'm wearing here right now, in fact, most of the overcoats in my collection are vintage.
13. Don't mix an overcoat with casual attire. If you want to wear your sweatpants, maybe go with a quilted jacket or a hoodie and leave the overcoat at home.
14. Do look for heavy fabrics in an overcoat because they're much more forgiving, they don't show wrinkles as easily, and they'll keep you warm.
15. Don't show any cuff on an overcoat. With regular suit jackets or sport coats, most men want to show a little bit of their shirt cuff. With an overcoat, that's not the case, you want it to reach all the way down to the beginning of your thumb.
16. Do look for the little button in the vent area because when it's very windy, you can just close it and stay warmer that way.
BONUS: If you wear an overcoat, try to add classic accessories such as a scarf or gloves.
#overcoatsformen #mensovercoats #notsponsored
Want to stay updated? Sign up here for free:
Want to see more videos? Subscribe to our channel!
FREE EBOOK: https://gentl.mn/2yq51He
The hat looks horrible the fit is way to big to much colors never wear more then 2 colors you really shouldnt give advice bcs you look like you where teleported from the 20s and looks like you try way way to much doesnt look natural at all looks like you going to a 20.s party and not a stylish one tf is this
Thanks for this! I finally got myself a vintage fur collared double breasted overcoat which is going to be useful for my winter work commute. Any tips on a casual outwear with a cleaner profile than down jacket?
He walks in the park, as he knows well that the raid on the other side of town is going well. There are many campaigns going around to repeal prohibition, however; we see no end in sight. The mobs still rule Chicago, and he is the biggest of them all.
I like a higher leaner (not skinny) notch or peak lapel. Those wide lapels remind me of an ill fitting suit from the 80. With that said style is subjective and usually formed based on our body type. I do appreciate the Gentlemens gazette!! The ones you say will look dated quickly I actually like best! Haha
How dare to insult Poirot! He is the greatest gentlemen dresser ever. And what's wrong with dressing in the 80's-90's period? I guess that's a no no unlike dressing like your from the 20'-30's, cough cough. People, dress how you want to look. NOT how some guy who thinks he's a dapper dresser (Some of your suits are horrendous and very ill fitting by the way!) . Wear whatever makes you happy. Not what some person thinks is right or wrong.
Sven, I have become absolutely addicted to watching your videos! I am a middle aged man, who is a medical professional, and thought that I knew the basics of being a gentleman. Upon watching your videos, however, I now realize that I don’t know hardly anything! 😉
Amount of completely miss leading textile information this guy gives out drives me nuts. I’ve worked in the textile and outdoor clothing industries, polyester is often added because it’s stronger and longer lasting than wool. And that’s only one of the bs claims he makes here
+Fabian Medina both had classic colors at knee length or past it. both online stores sold out quick,.I guessed too many men are watching Rafael. My local club Monaco has a navy top coat and double breasted, that's why I'm looking at top coat videos.
I liked your coats. I have one I got in the late 80s and I still get compliments on it. Black and grey herringbone. I've worn it enough the lining and pockets have been replaced. When you talk about warmth and say a cashmere wool isn't warm enough and synthetic fabrics aren't warm enough it makes me wonder how much time you spend outside in cold weather. I have an old cashmere sweater that has some moth holes, but if I wear a long sleeve wicking shirt the sweater and my New Balance running jacket, well, I ran a 5k in -8 degrees F.
I think you should do a section on fur coats for men, well, maybe not, but if you want to stay warm, fur seems to be the best insulator. It doesn't get that cold around here.
I liked the NBC/The Office, Dwight Shutte military surplus over coat. 👍 He wore it on location a few times. It had a blue-grey color. It looked Warsaw Pact or East Germany style...
I owned a surplus olive-tan French Army officer trench coat... It was great. I had it for 25+ years.
I've noticed one thing which is common in each of your videos is that you always fold the last one or two inches of your trousers, be it in a semi formal or a formal wear such as a suit. My question is that why not just get that folded end cut of and sewn. Will folding the trousers look fine or should we get them shortened and sewn
Thank you for this wonderful overview. I love wearing stylish hats, but in very cold climate I've a serious problem with my ears. Once got frostbite during military service nearly 30 years ago I still can't stand freezing cold weather. A beanie works, but has no style. Do you have a good idea for a stylish but functional (warm) headdress?
Best greetings from Hamburg, Germany.
Cele mai bune oferte si promotii din catalogul Dedeman, valabile de pe 07.12.2017 pana pe 31.12.2017. Reduceri si promotii la: gresie si faianta, produse si unelte pentru gradina, acoperisuri, constructii, termice, scule de mana si electrice, … [Read more. ]
Catalog Hornbach 5 decembrie – 31 decembrie 2017.
Descoperiti cele mai bune promotii din catalogul de oferte Hornbach, valabile de pe 05.12.2017 pana pe 31.12.2017. Cele mai bune reduceri la: aparat antiinsecte cu LED, boiler electric, vopsea "Meister Polar Weiss", lazura pentru lemn, Pattfield … [Read more. ]
Catalog Praktiker 22 Noiembrie – 27 Decembrie 2017.
Nu ratati cele mai bune oferte si promotii alimentare din catalogul Praktiker, valabile de pe 22.11.2017 pana pe 27.12.2017. Cautati cele mai bune preturi la: suport umbrela, cutie frigorifica, cort Ontario, balansoar 3 locuri, bicicleta strada, … [Read more. ]
Economisiti cu cele mai recente promotii din catalogul de oferte Brico Depôt, valabile de pe 15.11.2017 pana pe 24.12.2017. Nu pierdeti cele mai bune preturi la: ventilatoare, aparate de aer conditionat, tevi si conectica cupru, radiatoare, boilere, … [Read more. ]
Catalog Hornbach 7 noiembrie – 4 decembrie 2017.
Descoperiti cele mai bune promotii din catalogul de oferte Hornbach, valabile de pe 07.11.2017 pana pe 04.12.2017. Cele mai bune reduceri la: aparat antiinsecte cu LED, boiler electric, vopsea "Meister Polar Weiss", lazura pentru lemn, Pattfield … [Read more. ]
Bricolajul a ajuns in Romania in urma cu aproximativ 10 ani, insa in Statele Unite si in statele occidentale acest concept este mai vechi, si isi are originile la inceputul anilor ’50. Bricolajul se refera la capacitatea oamenilor de a crea sau repara diverse obiecte fara a apela la ajutor specializat.
Primul catalog de bricolaj pentru renovarea locuintei a aparut in 1968. Acesta a nascut conceptul de bricolaj care sta la baza lanturilor de magazine din zilele noastre. De la covoare si perdele, pana la mobilier si prefabricate, bricolajul se refera la tot ce inseamna renovarea unei locuinte in aceasta acceptiune.
Pe orlo.ro gasesti toate cataloagele de bricolaj, de la cei mai importanti comercianti. Catalog Dedeman, Catalog Praktiker, Catalog Baumax, Catalog Bricostore, Catalog Ambient si altii.
In Romania retelele de magazine pentru bricolaj sau extins rapid, cel mai important comerciant din acest segment este Dedeman, care a pornit din orasul Bacau si a ajuns sa detina magazine in cele mai importante orase din tara.